Skip to main content

How to improve Photoshop Performance.

Adobe Photoshop is a mush have for all the photographer's these days. If you ask me, I can't imagine my editing workflow without it.



Being said that, who doesn't like a smooth ,lightning fast and free flowing experience while working on their images, post the shoot to make them come to life.

At times, you might start to feel that Photoshop isn't that responsive, its performs slower then usual, with a amount of lag, which makes you feel annoying while you are working on the edits.

"I don't have a Pro Build Editing System" or else "I need a better System Config, in order to make it run more fast". If this is something that even you might be thinking, till an extend, you are right. But in this post, I will share some quite simple, yet very useful tips on how you can boost up your Photoshop performance simple bu just tweaking up your setting a bit.

(I have used Adobe Photoshop CS6 for this post. All the setting will be pretty much the same on all the versions of Photoshop.)

So lets get started by launching Photoshop first.


TIP: If you aren't using a SSD, you might want to consider getting one soon, Its fast, reliable and will make your workflow more time saving and Super Fast.

Now that you have your Photoshop launched and ready, you need to follow these steps.
Go to the Edit > Preferences > Performance.


Once you are there, it will look like the image below.


Once you are on this screen, you will find different setting that you will need to tweak a bit.

1. Memory Usage.


As you can see, this show you how much System Memory(RAM) is available for use with Photoshop.(The number will vary from system to system, as I'm using 16GB of RAM on my system)

It also shows you the ideal range that can safely be allotted to use by Photoshop. You can use the slider the to change the given value and set the usable amount of RAM for Photoshop. I allowed 70% of it, you can try and experiment with the values for yourself. Ideally I would suggest to stick from 65% to 72% on the scale.

2. History & Cache.


If you are good with your editing and you don't need to go back to the previous step more often, you can set the History States anywhere from between 8 to 15 or may be even a bit more say by 20.

Set the Cache Levels from anywhere between 2 to 6.  That's all in this step.

3. Scratch Disks.


As I mentioned earlier about SSD, here it makes a huge difference having one.
You will need to select the Drive that is fast and would allow Photoshop to perform faster. Also Keep in mind that you don't assign a drive that is less on space.
('C'Drive in the above image is my SSD, where I have Photoshop Installed and running, Drive 'D' and 'E' are the normal Storage Drives)

4. Graphic Processor Setting.


If you have a build-in graphic card or else you have put in that extra cash and got one separately, make sure you tick the Box that says USE GRAPHICS PROCESSOR.

Once you have selected that option, Click on the Advanced Settings.... tab below it .
You will get a Pop up like the image below.



Make sure you tick on the Box which say. "Use OpenCL".

Once you have done that, Click OK , to save this chances and close the pop up and the performance tab.

So now that you have made the changes and saved them, one last and the most important step is to close Photoshop and relaunch it.

That's it.

Once you have used and applied the above mention tips, you should be able to get noticeable performance change in Photoshop.

Stay connected with me for more tips and tricks as such and a lot more how to's in the coming time. Until then, Keep Shooting.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Using Window Light for Portraits.

As you saw in my previous post, I shared some tips on how you can shoot outdoors using natural light, If you haven't yet, you can view the post here . As you know it gets hard these days to step out in the rain and try to shoot, not only will you risk your camera getting wet in the rain, chances are you wont be able to get the desired shot you are looking for. So today I will share a few tips on how you can use the Natural light coming through your window to its full advantage to make some beautiful and creative portraits using Window Light. Using Window Light for Portraits.  The below mentioned tips aren't just limited to shooting portraits, you can use these tips for shooting Food, Products and use it with your own creative ideas to get some out of the box shots. So let get started with it. 1. Timing Timing is the key to shoot using Window light. as you all know, natural light coming through the window wont be there through out the day. It will, but the in

Improve your mobile photography with VSCO Cam.

No doubt, the camera on your phone these days can get amazing Picture Quality. I was shocked myself to see some phone camera perform way better then a Point and Shoot camera , In terms of Picture Quality, Camera Settings and Different Shooting Modes, putting them to shame. Phone manufactures such as Apple, Samsung, Vivo, Motorola etc, are coming up with a lots of added and advanced features to their mobile phone these days. From the awesome Portrait mode to the Moon Light Feature, Dramatic HDR to a Wide Panorama, they are just amazing and very easy to use. The in build camera app is always best when it comes to clicking a picture. its quick, simple, and alot easy to use as compared to other heavy and confusing apps. How do I take my Photography one step ahead? How can I get a shot that stands out from others? If you have such question on your mind, you would be spending hours looking and trying out different apps in the App / Play Store. There are tons and tons of apps out

Lets Start Shooting.

I Love your images I Love the way you frame your shot, I Love the feel to your images and so on. These are the Complements I get from my clients and other people for my work.  Yes, it does feel good to get praised for your work, but there was a time I had no clue at all on how my final shot would stand out to be like ?    Mirror Image of Me. (Nikon D7000 with a 50mm F/1.8 G lens) I often come across people who are very passionate about photography , some doing it as a hobby and some planning to take their hobby one step ahead to make it their profession. Trust me, its a long long list of question and issues I get to hear from them.  How can I get this kind of shot on this camera, I mean I just have a Entry Level D-SLR?  I can't even think of shooting a Portrait, I don't own a Prime Lens ?  I don't get enough of free time to shoot, hence I don't.  Where can I find a Good background to shoot against with ? As you can see, the list will go on